P.O. Box 10307 
New Orleans, LA 70181
(504) 888-8255
COMMENTARY OF THE DAY
by
Robert Namer
Voice Of America
info@webnetinfo.com
©2018 All rights reserved.

MAY 27, 2018

     Good or bad deal - time will tell. The Trump administration has told Congress that it's reached a deal that would allow Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE Corp. to stay in business, a source familiar with the talks who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a confidential matter said Friday. A resolution of the ZTE case could clear the way for the United States to make progress in its high-stakes trade talks with China. But news of the agreement drew immediate fire on Capitol Hill.

     Under the agreement, ZTE would oust its management team, hire American compliance officers and pay a fine. The fine would come on top of the roughly $1 billion ZTE has already paid for selling equipment to North Korea and Iran in violation of U.S. sanctions. In return, the Commerce Department would lift a seven-year ban on ZTE's purchase of components that the Chinese firm depends on from U.S. companies. The ban, imposed earlier this month, threatened to put ZTE out of business.
The Commerce Department did not immediately respond to a call seeking confirmation of the agreement. On Capitol Hill, one senior congressional source said leaders have not yet received formal notification.

     ZTE will not be a problem - they are a Chinese firm designed to spy on the US.
 
 
 

News Gathering, Information & Commentary © 2018, all rights reserved